Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Frivolity

I gotta say, I love BoA. Yes, she could easily be singled out as a singular exemplar of manufactured, formulaic Kpop. Yes, she's been called the Britney Spears of Asian pop. (I disagree; she's much more tasteful. She wears clothes. I can't say the same for Britney.) Yes, her stuff is really peppy and sugary and too cute for some people to stand.

But it fills a niche. I need peppy, sugary, excessively cute music sometimes. I spend enough time in the mists of melancholy, and sometimes I need out. It's as simple as that. Granted, mixing Vienna and BoA in the same playlist doesn't quite work, so what I play depends on what mood I'm in and what I'm doing. Same as everything else.

And she's quadrilingual. That's awesome. I can only speak one language, myself.

No comments: