Saturday, March 01, 2003

Only Human

You might notice a recurring note in a lot of my entries... "only human." I end up using that as an excuse for a lot of things I see in life... I don't use it as an excuse for myself, because it's a flaccid copout for taking responsibility for one's own actions, motivations, and character. I end up using it for most other things, though, because anyone with a sense of humility knows how hard it is to rise above one's less noble emotions or impulses and put one's foot down in the name of principle. Understanding how difficult it is to reject expedient or short-sighted temptations makes it easier to excuse others for stumbling from time to time.

But there's also a much simpler side to being "only human." Not all of life is so metaphysical. I'm limping back to my room on injured legs, and as I head for the elevator, I see a pink sign taped to the elevator door:

"
Please do not use until
             VOMIT
has been cleaned up.

- maintenance
"

(the sign is repeated verbatim; 'vomit' really was in allcaps.)

Egh. Sometimes, it's gross being organic. I limped up the stairs.


No comments: