Monday, December 30, 2002

Wish Fulfillment

A lonely almost-holiday. It's not New Year's Eve, or New Year's Day quite yet, but I've been alone most of the day in a quiet, empty house. It's a pretty big house.

Lonely time is ok given the circumstances, though - I've been getting over a slight cold since finals, and most of the last week has been spent largely in bed, just recuperating from the semester. Not that I'm being a baby about it, though - law school's a certain amount of work - school's always more or less work, depending on how much of yourself you care to put into it. As someone who's found most of his identity in school, it matters to me, and so I put in more than most people.

Not because I'm good at it, and not because I feel like I have anything left to prove... but because it's me, and that's what I do.

But that also makes me not terribly good at keeping in touch over the semester. I've now caught up with some of my friends, but I've still plenty of catching up left to do. Fortunately, it feels like I've got enough time to do it... another three weeks of vacation yet to be spent :)

Today's not the day for it, though. Most people are home for the holidays... a lot of my friends are either young enough such that they're spending their holiday at home with family, or have set out from the Bay Area for New Year's. I didn't have anyone to hang out with today. Time for another nap.

That led to a pleasant dream, which is a luxury for me. Most of my dreams are nightmares of one sort or another. On a good night, my dreams are just nonsensical or strange. This one lasted for hours - and I spent it in the company of friends. I don't quite remember what we all talked about, where we were, or even everyone who was there, but it was definitely a pleasant dream, full of good cheer, *probably* good food, and camaraderie of the kind that goes into great storybooks.

Happy New Year's to all of you out there who were with me today, whether you knew it or not. A dream like this is no random occurrence... it's years in the making, springing from the experiences of genuine love and strong bonds.


No comments: